The AVID 11 Essentials Consist of:
- Student Selection- students must meet the requirements set by the school as seen in the brochure.
- Participation- This is Advancement Via Individual Determination. The students have to Individually want to Advance for the better.
- AVID Elective & College Promotion- This is the students that qualify for the full AVID program as seen in the brochure. This is to prepare students for a brighter future and give them the tools to succeed in any high school or college program. Our AVID class is the host of College week here at HMMS to encourage students to pick the best High School program for them at the end of Middle School.
- Enrollment in Rigorous Curriculum- At Harns Marsh Middle School we have a variety of courses set up.
- Writing Curriculum- Students participate in Teenbiz, Marsh Writes, Graphic Organizers, Re-writes, Peer-Editing, & Peer-Conferencing about their writing.
- Inquiry Emphasis- Students use the AVID style marking the text to aid them in the inquiry process. Teamed with AVID marking the text students get to experience innovative text, Socratic Seminars, debates, and other interactive lessons to promote inquiry.
- Collaboration- this is between teachers to teachers, teachers to students, students to students, & last but not least, teacher to parent.
- Trained Tutors & Tutorial Time- Our intervention goal is that with Targeted Instruction + Time = Learning! This is a built-in time of the day where students are assigned to a study hall, skill period, or an extension based on their grades, skills, and achievements within a class. Tutorial sessions can be used to re-teach essential standards, offer pyramid support, provide homework help, make-up assignments, conference with students, and offer enrichment and extra-curricular opportunities. Any and all students can and should be required to attend a specific tutorial session. Intervention Reminders, Tutorial Trackers, and Intervention Attendance Sheets will be used to hold students accountable.
- Data Collection and Analysis- Harns Mash Middle is highly dedicated to their data. We sit down each week to determine: Which of our students need additional time and support to achieve at or above proficiency on an essential learning? How will we provide that time and support? What is our plan to enrich and extend the learning for students who are highly proficient? What is an area where my students struggled? What is an area where our team’s students struggled?
- School Commitment- Our school has really focused on preparing students for a brighter future through the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens and the AVID program.
- Active Disciplinary Site Team- Talking as a school to help promote that Individual Determination.
|The Key Essentials that we have chosen to focus on school-wide are:||
The Key Essentials that we as a school have chosen to focus on in the Elective have been placed into a 3 day lesson rotation:
|Day 1: Lesson day
|Day 2: Tutor day
|Day 3: Reading & AR goal day