HMMS FY18-19 Dress Code
Harns Marsh Middle School Standardized UNIFORM Code
Harns Marsh Middle School is a uniform school. It is the desire of the staff to create a positive, safe, and healthy environment focusing on academic achievement. Dress and grooming are the responsibility of the parent and student. Violation of the uniform code will result in disciplinary action utilizing the District Code of Conduct.
TOPS (male and female)
- 2 to 3 button short or long sleeved polo shirts-SOLID in ANY color. Logos are to be no larger than the size of a quarter
- Shirts must be tucked in completely
- Shirts must be buttoned except for the top button
- Solid color t-shirts (long or short sleeved) may be worn under the polo shirt
BOTTOMS (male and female)
- Navy or khaki/tan uniform long pants, shorts, skirts, and capris
- Must be worn at the waist above the hip/pelvic bone
- Must be the correct size
- Long pants should not be tucked in shoes or socks. Rubber bands should not be used to keep pants tucked in.
- Length of skirts and shorts must be at or below the knee in the standing position
- Belt must be plain, solid color, and unadorned
- Oversized buckles are permitted, but they may not display names, logos, flags, or other emblems
Jeans, denim of any color, cargo shorts/pants, JOGGERS, carpenter pants, low rise bottoms, hip hugger bottoms, clothing that drags on the ground, torn clothing, extra zippers, extra pockets, ties and or shoe strings, non-functional bottoms, ornamental stitching, lycra, spandex, stretch fabrics, corduroy, ribbons, ruffles, bows, slits on pant legs, and tied waist bands
SHOES (male and female)
- Closed heel and toe tennis shoes, sneakers, loafers, or topsiders
- No sandals, flip-flops, house slippers, crocs or slides
- Shoes must be worn at all times and secured properly
HAIR (male and female)
- Hair coloring or hairstyles that are considered to be distracting are prohibited
- Natural colors only
- No spiked hair or Mohawks
- Make up should be natural, no distracting colors
JEWELRY (male and female)
- Jewelry that is spiked or considered to be too big or dangerous by the administration is not allowed
- Any necklace should be worn under the shirt
- No chokers, dog collars or spikes, no chain wallets
- One bracelet per wrist
JACKETS (male and female)
NO JACKETS WILL BE WORN IN THE BUILDING
- Solid black jackets with no design or stripes
- Logos on jackets should be no larger than a quarter
- Opening may be zipper or buttons
- May not be oversized
- Hooded zipper jackets are permitted but the hood is not to be worn
- Pullovers are not permitted
- Jackets or sweaters are not to be worn in the building
SPECIFIC UNIFORM CODE EXPECTATIONS
- Any item or apparel, including book bags and notebooks, that promote the use of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, or any illegal activity are prohibited.
- Apparel or symbols that may be gang-related may not be displayed on a student’s person or any items the person is carrying, such as book bags, book covers, notebooks, etc.
- Piercings: piercing of tongues or exposed body parts, other than ears is prohibited. Band aids and spacers to cover piercings are acceptable.
- No visible tattoos
- No pen ink to simulate tattoos or fake tattoos
- Hats, caps, headgear, sunglasses, or fake glasses, except in conjunction with athletic practices or activities is prohibited
- Sweatbands or bandanas may not be worn at any time
- Students must be in uniform code compliance at all times while on campus. This includes walking to the bus ramp, parent pick-up and after school activities (clubs, detentions, tutoring)
- Gym clothes may be worn only during P.E. class and during authorized athletic events.
Any questions about the suitability or appropriateness of dress code will be decided by the administration.